St. Matthias Church, Tannieerutu
St. Matthias Church, Tannieerutu
Date of Consecration
1913 - 07 - 10
Archdeaconry
Jaffna Archdeaconry
Vicar
Rev. S.S. Jebachelvan
Assistant Curate
Rev. I. D. Dixon
History

The foundation stone was laid in 1907. The village is 60 miles from the Vanni in Mulliyawalli, Mullaithivu.

An old Church built by the CMS and dedicated to St. Matthias existed there as a very flourishing mission station. Services were held in English for officials who lived and worked in Mullaithivu, which was once the seat of the Assistant Government Agent. Migration to Jaffna occurred in the 1930’s to 1940’s.

25 September, 1969 was a great day in the life of this Church. It was a day of rejoicing. At the service of the Holy Eucharist all those who rendered personal service or gave material help were remembered, as well as those who helped in building the Church 48 years ago the CMS missionaries, local priests, Catechists, teachers and other faithful men and women, especially John Arulpragasam the first convert who was mainly instrumental in getting the Church built.

Date of stone laying- 1912

Date of consecration- 10 July 1913

St. Matthias Church was a daughter Church under the Church of the Holy Spirit and within the Vanni mission. The clergy attached to the Church of the Holy Spirit, Vavuniya ministered to the Christians in Tanniyootu.

Here too the Church school came into existence before the Church was built. Church services were held in the school building till the Church was built. The early missionaries of the Vanni worked with great dedication concentrating on the spiritual and intellectual growth of the people. In 1984, a parsonage was built in the premises. The walls of a parish hall were coming up when war broke out in 1990. The few Christians here are very loyal and dedicated.

~ data not available ~

Contact Details

Postal Address
St. Matthias Church, Tannieerutu
Telephone
024 2222456

Grace Chapel, Nellukulam
Grace Chapel, Nellukulam
Date of Consecration
1987 - 08 - 16
Archdeaconry
Jaffna Archdeaconry
Vicar
Rev. S.S. Jebachelvan
History

During the time of the 115 anniversary of the Vanni Mission (Diocese of Colombo) the above named chaple was consecrated by Bishop J.J. Gnanapragasam.

In 1987 Bro. Selvaratnam was the lay worker attached to the mission and he ministered to the poor people  at Gnanesapuram in Vavuliya.

The Rev. and the lay workers have started a center called Vaalvothayam to uplift the people of this area.

The peacemakers pre-school is functioning at present in the chapel premises.

 
Name From To Remarks
       
Bro. Selvaratnam 1987   Chapel was consecrated
Bro. Gunasekaram 1996 2001  
Bro. Prabahar 2009 2010  
Bro. K. Varatharajan 2011 2012  
Rev. Vathani 2012 2013  
Bro. Saravanabacan 2014 todate  

Contact Details

Postal Address
Grace Chapel, Nellukulam
Telephone
024 2222456

St. Luke's Church, Tharmapuram
St. Luke's Church, Tharmapuram
Archdeaconry
Jaffna Archdeaconry
Vicar
Rev. S. D. P. Selvan
History

~ data not available ~

~ data not available ~

Contact Details

Postal Address
St. Luke's Church, Tharmapuram
Telephone
021 2285936

St. Paul's Church, Kilinochchi
St. Paul's Church, Kilinochchi
Date of Dedication
1956 - 12 - 06
Archdeaconry
Jaffna Archdeaconry
Vicar
Rev. S.K. Daniel
History

The name Karuna Nilyam means the “abode of Grace”. It is a missionary household based in Kilinochchi and is run on the lines of a women’s ashram.

The chapel is in the Dravidian style of architecture. It was a gift by Dr. and Mrs. Abraham Perera.

~ data not available ~

Contact Details

Postal Address
A 9 Road, Kilinochchi
Telephone
021 2285936

Church of the Holy Spirit, Vavuniya
Church of the Holy Spirit, Vavuniya
Date of Dedication
1901 - Pentecost Day
Archdeaconry
Jaffna Archdeaconry
Vicar
Rev. S.S. Jebachelvan
History

The mission was started in July 1872 when Mr. Arulpragasam was sent as a teacher and Catechist to Vavuniya. He got a piece of jungle land from the Government and put up a shed for his residence and a shed for a small school. In the same year he returned to Jaffna and preached in a number of mission Churches appealing to Christians to come over to Vavuniya and pioneer with him. As a result, a few families from the Mission Churches in Jaffna came to Vavuniya and settled down. The school building was the Church from 1872-1901.

Missionary work in Vavuniya was begun and continued by the local Christians of Jaffna and not Europeans. The CMS encouraged the Jaffna Missionary Association to carry on with the work. The early missionaries in the Vanni were the first and only pioneers in education when this area was a jungle infested with Malaria. Schools were established by them in Vavuniya town, in Nellukulam, Ranenthiyankulam, Ottuchuddan, Nedunkerni, Puttukudiyirruppu, Tanniyoothu, Kululamunai, Kokkuthuduwai. After Rev. Arulpragasam Matthias, who pioneered here for 32 years, The Rev. S.S. Somasunderam did great service for the Church and education in the area. He bought 30 acres of paddy land and cultivated it in order to pay the salaries of teachers. He started Agricultural Cooperative credit societies in Tamil, Muslim and Sinhala villages in order to help farmers.

In the late 1970’s many hill country people settled in the area and became cultivators. The Church helped them a great deal in their progress and development. In 1987, the Nellukulam Chapel was opened to serve the villages of Nellukulam, Ganeshapuram, Rasenthirakulam and Komankulam. When the war broke out in June 1990, the Nellukulam Chapel was badly damaged.

Stone laying ceremony- 1895

Dedication-1901

 
Name From To Remarks
       
Rev. Arutpirakasam Mathias 1872 1918 Church was consecrated
Rev. S. S. Somasundaram 1918 1930  
Rev. S. C. Daniel 1930 1942  
Rev. W. P. Thomas 1930 1942  
Rev. S. M. J. Jebamani 1930 1942  
Rev. A. Benjamin Kanagaratnam 1942 1947  
Rev. A. Luwis 1947 1949  
Rev. S. V. Thevadas 1949 1960  
Rev. C. C. B. Arutpirakasam 1960 1967  
Rev. J. L. D. Silva 1967 1970  
Rev. A. Sinnaiyah 1970 1974  
Rev. A. Koilpillai 1974 1981  
Rev. J. Isaiah 1981 1982  
Rev. Dr. D. J. Kanagaratnam 1982 1995  
Rev. S. I. Balakumar 1995 2000  
Rev. S. D. P. Selvan 2001 2004  
Rev. S. K. Daniel 2005 2006  
Rev. Charles David 2007 2007  
Rev. N. J. Gnanakaryniyan 2007 2009 Militory war ended
Rev. S. S. Jebachelvan 2010 todate  

Contact Details

Postal Address
Church of the Holy Spirit, Vavuniya
Telephone
0242 222 456