The Cathedral Institute later came to be known as the Cathedral Institute for Education and Formation (CIEF) was founded in 1993 with the intention to train Lay Workers and for the Formation of Ordinands during their pre and post theological training after being accepted to enter the Theological College of Lanka, Pilimatalawa. However, over the years the work of the Institute began to expand to prepare God’s people to exercise their ministries in diverse contexts in Sri Lanka.
Functions of CIEF
The Main purpose of the Institute is to enlighten, equip and empower God’s people drawn from diverse walks of Life to work in Partnership with God. Therefore we organize;
- Pre theological College training
- Post theological College training
- Leadership training and Formation for Laity
- Organizing public lectures and Seminars on Contemporary themes/Issues
- Three Class rooms and a main hall within the premises
- Accommodation Facilities:
- 12 Individual Rooms (In CIEF and Kithu Sevana Building)
- Dormitory facility for 100 people (In CIEF building and Kithu Sevana
- 08 Individual rooms and dormitory facilities including a conference hall, for 80 people at St. Margaret’s Convent, Colombo – 03.
- Mediation Centre, (Labyrinth)
- We are in process of organizing more furniture for exams
- Three locations as Cafeterias
- Sanitary facilities at all the places
Approximately 20,000 volumes which includes Journals and Magazines.
Full time Librarian and assisting staff