- Date of Dedication
- 1938 - 03 - 29
- Jaffna Archdeaconry
- Revd John Athputhamany
Uduthurai was a remote village in 1850s, 13 miles north east of Pallai. It is encircled by the villages Maruthankerny and Vaththirayan in the west, Aaliyavalai to the north, the sea to the east and a river (Upparu) in the south. This fishing village has many economic resources; Coconut and Palmyra tress, paddy fields in addition to the resources of the sea.
In 1850, there were two Christians from the Church of England who came to Uduthurai in a journey which was full of hardships and difficulties. Their names were Tourtan and Vervil or Fair Field. They settled down as owners of two coconut estates and established a school in the west border of Uduthural village and shared the love they had in Jesus Christ. In fact this was the first school in Patchilaipalli area. They asked their mother Church (Church of England) to sponsor this school and the Church of England sent a person for the teaching ministry and also to share the Good News. The teacher’s name was Mr. George Daniel.
- Postal Address
- St. Mary Magdalen's Church, Uduthurai
- 021 2050011