- Date of Consecration
- Colombo Archdeaconry
- Rev. Sagara Perera
The foundation stone for this Church was laid on 24 February 1872, which was St. Matthias Day. Under the foundation stone was laid a bottle containing different coins of Ceylon and a document.
The words inscribed in the document read thus. St. Matthias Chapel-The corner stone was laid by Hugh Willoughby, third Bishop of Colombo, on 24 February 1872, being the first year of his episcopate, and the 35 year of Her Majesty Queen Victoria’s Reign. Present on this occasion are Rev. A. Mendis, colonial Chaplain, Rev. J. Bacon, presenter, Cathedral, Mr. S. De Soysa, Mudliyar Mr. C.H. De Soysa.
The idea for the establishment of the Church goes back to the time when Colonial Chaplain Abraham Mendis was appointed to Moratuwa as Colonial Chaplain in 1861. A few years after Rev. Mendis was appointed he conceived an idea of having a day school festival. There were two day schools in the area at that time, namely Rawatawatte School and the Laxapathiya School. On 15 December 1869, the day school festival took place. In the speeches delivered on the occasion the difficulties under which Church work was being carried out in this part of the parish was emphasized and an appeal was made for the erection of at least a small chapel in the neighbourhood. It was here that C.H. De Soysa resolved to build the Church. A site bordering the Angulana Road, Midway between the Galle Road and the Sea, was selected for this purpose.
- Postal Address
- St. Matthias Church, Lakshapathiya, Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.