- Date of Consecration
- 1912 - 09 - 19
- Galle Archdeaconry
- Rev. John Marshall
In 1860, Seemon Mendis grandfather of the Rev. H.E.C. Mendis donated a block of land to build a school for the children of the area.
In 1884, the Rev. Johannes De Silva, the Acting Incumbent of Holy Emmanuel Church utilised the school building to hold divine services and a Sunday school for the benefit of the parishioners belonging to the Church of England and who were resident in the Moratumulla area. The building was enlarged and on 25 January 1910, was dedicated and consecrated as St. Paul’s Chapel.
A block of land in close proximity to the Chapel was donated by J. Hendrick De Mel. With the donations received from him and the generous public, St. Paul’s Church was built and consecrated by Bishop E.A. Copleston, on 2 February, 1923.
Using the framed pictures displayed at the altar, the cross of Christ designed by Engaltina Mendis was displayed. During this period, St. Paul’s Church which functioned under the Incumbency of Holy Emmanuel Church held their divine services according to the rights of the Church of England as stipulated in the trust deed No 1331.
In 1933, the Church building was further extended by Cornelius Francis De Mel and his wife. In 1934, when the Rev. Jacob Mendis was the Incumbent, the Seminar Guild was formed and in 1942, when the Rev. Harold De Soysa was the Incumbent, a Church Committee was formed.
In 1950, a small hall was erected for socio-religious activities and the Church vestry was also extended within the precincts of the Church. A small cottage was built and completed on 2 February 1964 by Sharmini Perera in memory of P. James Perera and Leonara Perera.
The financial administration of the Church which was then carried out by Holy Emmanuel Church, was taken over in 1979 by St. Paul’s Church and is at present managed independently by St. Paul’s Church.
The parishioners who realized the serious lack of a suitable building for the Church Hall decided to construct one and the foundation stone was laid on the 2 February 2003 by the Rt. Rev. Duleep De Chickera, Bishop of Colombo.
- Postal Address
- St. Paul's Church, Moratumulla, Sri Lanka.
- 0112 645 447