- Date of Re-Dedication
- 1986 - 10 - 11
- Galle Archdeaconry
- Revd. Fredson Mirando
A colonization scheme in the remote village of Molkawa, 30 miles to the East of Kalutara, had attracted a number of Christian families in the mid-1940’s. The new settlers came under the pastoral care of the vicar of Kalutara. In 1945 the church received, on a 99 year lease, a land with an extent of 2 acres 2 roods and 15 perches to build a church and a mission house.
The building of the mission house was undertaken first and a catechist had been appointed to reside there and to look after the Christian community. The church was build through the initiative and the untiring efforts of the Rev. T.C.J Peiris. It was dedicated for divine worship in 1954 by the Rt. Rev. A.R. Graham Campbell, the Eighth Bishop of Colombo.
After the initial outburst of enthusiasm activity died down, within the matter of a few years, numbers in the congregation begin to dwindle gradually with the exodus of Christian youth from the colony to take up jobs in Colombo in preference to taking to farming and cultivation under the colonization scheme.
With the passage of time the few Christian families that were left behind found themselves bereft of regular pastoral care, and the church building itself fell into a sorry state of disrepair. After a visit by the Archdeacon in February 1986 he reported that besides numerous other minor damages to the church about 1/3 of the roof and all the doors and windows of the church were missing, and estimates for repairs were fully forwarded.
Within the next few months, with a grant of Rs 17, 700 received from the Diocese, the most urgent repairs to the church were effected. With the basic repairs completed the church was re-dedicated for divine worship with a service of thanksgiving conducted by the Bishop of Colombo on 11 October 1986.
- Postal Address
- Church of the Resurrection, Karawa, Molkawa, Sri Lanka