- Date of Consecration
- 1876 - 06 - 24
- Galle Archdeaconry
- Ven. Sunil Shantha (The Archdeacon of Galle)
When the S.P.G extended its migration along the southern coastline of Ceylon, the Rev. J.S. Lyle was made superintending missionary of all the area at present covered by the parishes at Galle (including Bouna Vista), Matara(including Weligama), and Tangalle(including Hambantota). In father Lyle’s Day, services in Tangalle were held in a school room. But when Tangalle was made into a separate and independent parish, the Government of the day donated a block of land and also one-half of the money for the erection of the Church. The other half of the money needed was found by the S.P.G. and the Rev. F.D. Edirisinghe, who had then been appointed first Vicar. It is a well known fact that he used his dowry money as well as the building of what is now Christ Church, Tangalla, which Bishop R.S. Copleston consecrated on 24 June 1876.
The first boy born in the house that then became the Vicarage was the first Vicar’s eldest son, who later became a priest, the Rev. J.S.H Edirisinghe.
- Postal Address
- Christ Church Prison Road, Tangalle, Sri Lanka