- Colombo Archdeaconry
- Revd. Franklyn Mirando
The foundation stone for this church was laid in 1918. Rev. Samuel Kanapathipillai Ponniah took charge of the parish on 19 January 1918, being instituted and inducted Vicar on the Patronal Feast, 25 July 1918 by Bishop E.A Copleston.
Rev. Ponniah took a keen interest in the Merawela school. Rev. Arulambalam Russel Virasinghe, Incumbent of St. James Church Chilaw, improved work at Merawela. Land was gifted by E.C Storer for a school and a chapel. The temporary school building developed into a grant in aid school.
The school chapel foundation stone was laid by the Bishop on 20th August 1918, in the name of St. Luke. Christians of Merawela and Chilaw town started a specialist fund for mission work at Merawela. On 26 July 1920 Archdeacon Ven. F.H De Winton dedicated the school chapel for divine worship in memory of Rev. Virasinghe. Parishioners of St. James Church, Chilaw helped the indigent Christians, supporting work in Merawela and Maradankulama by contributing towards catechist’s maintenance and started a league of Christian service under Dr. J.A.E Corea and his sister Mrs. J.A. Corea, who regularly visited the Merawela congregation.
- Postal Address
- St. Lukes Church, Merawala, Chilaw, Sri Lanka.
- 0322 22 08 32