Numerous options for the site and position of the new Cathedral preceded the final decision to begin work on what was earlier Bullers Road (later named Bauddhaloka Mawatha) at its intersection with McCarthy Road (now known as Wijerama Mawatha). It was an area not much frequented, close to Kanatte which is Colombo’s largest General Cemetery. A part of the site housed the disused and abandoned infectious diseases Hospital of Colombo situated at what was commonly referred to as “Khmmobi Kelay” because of the vast termite mounds which formed a general feature of the landscape in its scrub jungle.
The earliest plan had been mooted at a largely attended meeting in Colombo , summoned by Bishop E.A. Copleston and presided over by the Governor sir Henry McCallum in 1910. A new and spacious Cathedral was a requirement to replace the old and inadequate structure in Mutwal which had been consecrated in September 1854.
In 1879 the Government of the colony of Ceylon granted the Diocese an area of land on the Slave Island Rifle Ground (or Rifle Green) for a new Cathedral. Then in 1890 the Government withdrew the offer as the area was required for the use of military personnel. Instead an exchange of land was made for the old cemetery at Galle Face. Various reasons prevented action regarding the building. In 1922 when the Prince of Wales visited Ceylon there was a suggestion that he be invited to open the new building.
But Bishop Mark Carpenter Garnier had declared his disapproval of the site.
A new site was offered at Bullers Road. There was considerable delay due to the Second World War.
With a view to making a definite start, Bishop Cecil Douglas Horsley inaugurated the scheme on the 7 of November 1945, by the dedication of tablets set on the site of the new Cathedral. There was a commemorative structure. This was later moved to a different position in the construction.
It was found that funds for constructing the building were excessive, and after negotiation, the work was laid by.
It was on the 28 of October 1968, that the central foundation stone was laid during the Episcopate of Bishop Harold De Soysa the first Sri Lankan Bishop of Colombo. The architects selected were Mr. T. W. Wynne-Jones for the structure and Mr. Wilson Peiris for the design. Bishop Harold De Soysa did not to live to see the Cathedral. Before, construction commenced, a Boy Scout Movement jamboree helped to a great extent to clear and level the site.
A large and well ordained service of thanksgiving on the 7 of November 1973, saw a vast congregation of worshippers present at the inauguration of the Cathedral of Christ the Living Saviour. Bishop Cyril Abeynaike presided. What began as a resolution for the building of the Cathedral at the Public Hall in 1910 had now reached the greater part of its fulfillment.
Holy Eucharist (Sinhala) - 07.00a.m
1st, 3rd & 4th Sundays
Holy Eucharist (English)- 08.15a.m
1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th Sundays
Holy Eucharist (Tamil) - 11.00a.m
1st, 3rd & 4th Sundays
Holy Eucharist (Sinhala & Tamil) - 07.00a.m
2nd Sunday Only
Holy Eucharist (Trilingual) 8.15a.m
5th Sunday Only
- Postal Address
- Cathedral of the Christ the Living Savior, Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka.
- 0112 67 39 04