- Colombo Archdeaconry
- Revd. Adrian Aaron
The original church was dedicated in 1865, the new enlarged Church was dedicated in 1885, consecrated on 24 September 1922
In 1860 the site was given to the Bishop of Colombo and his successors. The Church was originally a chapel-of-ease to All Saint’s. In 1885 the existing Church was enlarged and dedicated to St. Matthew. In 1889 the District formed part of the parish of St. Paul’s Colombo, under Dr. Osmund Beven who commenced Sinhalese services on Sunday mornings. The Sunday school started in 1888, had in 1889 over 60 children and three teachers.
The building which also housed the day school did not have good attendance although 100 names were on the books. This was due to poverty of the children and sickness prevalent in the District.
For many years the District was worked by the clergy of Holy Trinity Church and later St. Paul’s. A new vernacular school was opened in Dematagoda and it was intended to make this the basis of missionary operations in the surrounding villages. A temporary room was erected on Church land for the school, which in 1889 had over 40 names on the roll. St. Matthew’s school (English) in 1889 grew appreciably since 1888 and it was hoped to receive a Government grant. A juvenile temperance league was started with a considerable membership in the District. English evensong was conducted on Sunday’s, and the congregation was outgrowing the Church.
On 15 February 1893, it became a separate parish and Rev. F.H De Winton* began an incumbency which lasted till he resigned the Archdeaconry of Colombo in 1925.
- Postal Address
- St. Mathew’s Church, Dematagoda, Sri Lanka
- 0112 69 30 37