- Date of Consecration
- 1942 - 12 - 27
- Colombo Archdeaconry
- Revd. Wilson Gnanadoss
In early British times one of the first four CMS missionaries to come to Ceylon, the Rev. Samuel Lambrick, moved to Kotte in 1822. Soon afterwards, he wrote to the CMS: “Cotta has a water communication with Colombo by means of a canal connecting the Calany river with the Calpera and Pantura rivers. There is also a bridle road with wooden bridges over two branches of the canal, but in the rainy season this road is frequently impassable.” In the “Missionary Record” of 1830 mention is made of visits to Nugegoda by Pastors on alternate Sunday afternoons. The next record of Nugegoda is the proposal to build a Church or Chapel on an extent of land 50 yards by 40 yards granted on the 26 may, 1849 to the superintending missionary at Kotte by Hendrick Juwanis , Andiris, Gabriel, Marco and Bastian Peiris: “ Given to the Church Missionary society for the purpose of holding divine service and also for the building of a Church.” The Church was constructed in May 1850. The value of the land was estimated at 2-5shillings.
The Rev. Isaah Wood obtained a sum of money from the CMS local fund for the building of the Church, and one year later pounds 18 were obtained for the completion of the verandahs. On the 10 November, 1885 two roods and five perches of land were bought for Rs 21 to form a part of the Church cemetery, and in 1929 another rood was added making the total extent of the Church land a little over one acre.
In 1940, St. John’s Church and cemetery were transferred from the Church Missionary Trust Association Ltd to the Diocese.
In 1879, the Ceylon Diocesan Gazette refers to the Nawala, Nugegoda and bewila (Udahamulla) chapels being licensed for marriages, and in 1881, the visit of Bishop Johnson, metropolitan of India and Ceylon to Nugegoda on his return from Kotte is mentioned.
When Dr. R.S Copleston, Metropolitan visited Kotte in 1912 for an evening service and garden party, Nugegoda appears to have been omitted from the itinerary.
(The next visit of a Metropolitan was when His Grace, the Metropolitan Lakdasa De Mel came on an official visit soon after his appointment). On 31 December 1918, it is on record that there were 397 Christians in the Nugegoda pastorate.
The Kotte Mission flourished under the missionaries who served there, and in 1909, a portion of the District was cut off and placed in the independent charge of the Rev. G.S Amarasekera and referred to as the Nugegoda Pastorate. During his period as Incumbent, the Rev. Amarasekera collected funds and built a parsonage.
The first pastor in Nugegoda was the Rev. James Andries De Livera (1864). He died in December 1868 and is buried in the churchyard.
In 1911, Rev. J.P Ramanayake became Incumbent of the Pastorate of St. John’s Church, Nugegoda, Christ Church, Mirihana, Nawala and Kirillipone. During his Incumbency, Nugegoda became an independent pastorate. In 1923, the AGM meeting of St. John’s Church authorized the Church Committee to take “necessary steps to build a new Church at Nugegoda or improve or enlarge the existing one.” On Palm Sunday 1927 it was agreed “that the new Church he built according to modern requirements.”
In June 1930, the Rev. Percy E Wickremasinghe took charge as Incumbent. Rev. Wickremasinghe laboured ceaselessly for the progress of the Church and the development of the schools. Under his management the English Mixed School was separated into schools for girls and boys in 1934. In 1931, Christopherson Hall was built to meet the needs of the English School. In Church, the sanction of the Patronage Board was obtained and the parishioners gifted ornaments for use on the altar.
A parish monthly paper began to be issued, and electric lighting was installed in Church. A daily Eucharist was begun as a regular feature.
In 1935, The Mampe-Liyanwela area was added to the Nugegoda Mission. Also in 1935, a sanctuary, choir stall, Lady Chapel and Vestry were built. The East Wall of the old Church was demolished, and the new Church was constructed to the East of the old one. There were many new gifts and furniture and fittings which added to the beauty of the Church. The new portion with all the fittings wee dedicated to Bishop Mark Carpenter-Garnier on 14 April, 1936.
In 1939 and 1940 the new Church was completed and renamed the Church of S.S. Mary and John, Nugegoda.
In the 1940’s a new vestry was built to the memory of Rev. Percy Wickremasinghe. The two Lady Chapels of Christ the King and God the Holy Spirit were used for the week-day services.
|Rev. J. A. De Livera||1864||1882||Worked under Missionaries of Kotte|
|Rev. H. W. Kannangara||1882||1884||Worked under Missionaries of Kotte|
|Rev. D. Jayasinghe||1884||1887||Worked under Missionaries of Kotte|
|Rev. G. S. Amerasekara||1887||1904||Worked under Missionaries of Kotte|
|Rev. G. S. Amerasekara||1904||1909||The Church of St. John the Evangelist|
|Rev. J. H. Wickramanayake||1909||1911||The Church of St. John the Evangelist|
|Rev. J. P. Ramanayake||1911||1930||The Church of St. John the Evangelist|
|Rev. P. E. Wickramasinghe||1930||1942||The Church of St. John the Evangelist|
|Rev. P. E. Wickramasinghe||1942||1944||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Canon. T. A. M. Jayaweera||1945||1969||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Geoffrey Misso||1969||1972||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Godwin Weerasuriya||1972||1978||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Roger Herft||1979||1982||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Joshua Ratnam||1983||1984||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Eardly Mendis||1984||1985||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Bernard Perera||1985||1988||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Gamini Serasinghe||1989||1996||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Canon Lloyd||1996||2002||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Bennet balasinghe||2002||2005||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Ven. Devapriya de Silva||2005||2007||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Sydney Knight||2007||2007||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Jubilee Ponniah||2007||2010||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Jayanth Jeyaveerasingham||2010||2012||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
|Rev. Dushyantha Rodrigo||2012||todate||The Church of SS. Mary & John|
- Postal Address
- St. Mary & John Church, No. 3, Stanley Thilakeratne Mw, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka
- 0114 - 87 28 14